Face masks are a great way to revitalise your skin, clear out toxins and freshen up your complexion.
Celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Aniston swear by regular masks and facials to leave their skin supple and smooth.
For us more normal folk, there’s beauty therapists nationwide offering top-notch facial treatments to help us maintain healthy looking skin.
But if you’re looking for a more authentic facial, making your own natural face masks is a great option. Below is our guide to some of the best face masks for all skin types.
Avocado face mask for dry skin
Avocados are not only great for your health, but for your skin too. Containing lots of healthy fats, they are handy for hydrating the skin and provide deep nourishment. To make your own avocado face mask, you will need:
½ Avocado, 1 tsp honey, ¼ tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the avocado with the honey and vinegar until it forms a puree.
- Using clean hands, apply the avocado mixture to your face. Leave to sink in for 10 – 20 minutes, then remove with a warm cloth.
Banana, honey and yoghurt face mask for combination skin
The nutrient-rich banana has lots of skin boosting properties. Containing vitamins A, B and E, banana can reduce signs of blemishes, brighten the skin and lessen dryness. Combined with the benefits of yoghurt and honey, you have a face mask feast for your skin.
You will need: ½ banana, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp natural yoghurt.
- Mash the banana and honey together until it forms a puree.
- Add the yoghurt to the mixture and combine.
- Smooth the mask over your face and leave for 20 minutes, then wash off with cool water.
Papaya face mask for oily skin
Papaya is a super fruit for those with oily skin as it works by removing excess sebum from the skin’s surface. It also provides gentle exfoliation, which is essential for cleansing the skin of blackheads and clearing blocked pores. To give your skin a healthier glow, you will need:
Palm-sized piece of papaya and a drop of lemon juice (vitamin C can help prevent oily skin problems).
- Mix the papaya in a bowl until it forms a puree.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Apply to your face and leave for 15 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water.