Having sensitive skin can be a nightmare for beauty lovers, especially when every product you use causes a reaction. Sadly skin sensitivity can be hard to manage as it is rarely caused by one single trigger. A reaction can be made worse by irritating ingredients in products, acne, contact dermatitis or even by a combination of environmental stresses.
Sensitive skin issues can be tackled however; the first step is finding a range of products suitable for your skin. There are many different ranges out there for those with delicate skin including: Simple, Liz Earle and Olay. The trick is to look out for natural ingredients.
On top of finding a product range that suits you, the following tips should help keep your skin happy:
- Use tepid water when washing your face, not hot water.
- Pat skin dry with a towel rather than rub it.
- Try to avoid any extreme temperatures (such as steam rooms and saunas).
- Stay out of the sun when possible as it can increase your skin’s sensitivity. Be sure to protect your skin with a high level SPF when you do spend time in the sun.
- Don’t overload your skin with too many products/ingredients, the simpler the regime, the better.
- Test products out on a small patch of skin before using them on your face.
- Switch to using gentle products specifically designed for sensitive skin.
If you are struggling with a skin condition, seeing a dermatologist could help. For more information and to find a dermatologist near you, please see our Dermatology page.